Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Going off to College

Sweety's cousin arrived last night from another village with her parents. She is starting college here in Virudhunagar. She is attending an all women's Nursing College. As I am treated as part of the family, we all climbed into our taxi and went to deliver Jeevitha to school. 

Here is the family at the college.


Jeevitha has just finished high school. She will spend 4 years here at nursing college and then can work in a hospital. Her dream is to help the poor who are sick.

There was a nice ceremony to welcome the incoming class (50 in total). I met the principle. They served us tea and biscuits. I skipped the tea.

This is what the classrooms look like. I didn't see any technology in the college, but classes start later this week. Maybe I can go back and observe.

Jeevitha is staying in a dorm at another Women's College in the village. We moved her things into a simple room she'll have to share with 4 other women!! There were LOTS of tears shed by mother and daughter as we left her behind.

2 comments:

  1. The Nursing School seems so modern (minus the technology). I notice that many of the signs are in English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all the teachers speak English. I spoke with the principal and her English was perfect. The school is fairly new, I think only a couple of years old. It's too bad they don;t have dorms as Jeevitha has to take the bus from the other women's college.

    ReplyDelete