Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Nursery Rhyme Time


On my first day in the village I was taken through the city so I could see the different projects the organization has implemented. Mary is very proud of the day care for children ages 2 to 5. Women can drop off their children at the day care who are too young to go to school. There is a big emphasis on teaching English to the children.

So I met the teacher who was lovely and then went in to meet the children. One of the little girls immediately burst into tears upon seeing me and would not stop crying no matter what anyone did. I felt really bad. So I watched the children sing and they did little rhymes. The teacher then asked me to teach the children a rhyme. Oh my, I didn’t feel qualified, but thought how hard can it be? So I picked Jack and Jill, which looking back was probably not the best choice. It doesn’t really make any sense and trying to act it out makes even less sense. So I am standing in front of the children singing and dancing and they are staring at me with BIG bug eyes looking scared. I must have spent 20 minutes trying to role play Jack and Jill. I even got a little boy to be Jack and one to be Jill. They just stood there in shock. I needed An and Jenn to help me!!

After the rhyming the teacher asked me to review the alphabet with the students. New books had been ordered and within them was  each letter matched with a picture and a word that represented the letter. I could tell the books were culturally appropriate until we got to the letter K. For this letter, the book had a picture of a Kangaroo. I don’t think Kangaroos are common to children in India so all the kids are looking confused and saying Kanga??? What?? So I decide to using my acting skills and become a Kangaroo, I have been to Australia after all. I bounced around the room and hung my arms in little hooves. The kids sort of got it I think because they started to hop around as well. Success!

Me with the children. We tried to get them to line up, but this is what we got. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment