Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Going to a Men’s College is better


The head of the woman’s organization has a 21 year-old daughter named Sweetie. She is 22 and just completed her degree in engineering. I asked her if she went to a women’s college for her degree and she said proudly, “No! I went to a men’s college.” It seems that the quality of education may be perceived as better at a men’s or co-ed university. Sweetie’s best friend is staying with us for a few days before she goes off to get her Master’s degree also in engineering. She is leaving the village and moving to the large city of Chennai to attend school. She told me that this will be her first time ever attending a co-ed institution. In the past, her schooling has been with females. I asked her how her mother feels about her going off to school by herself. She told me her mother is coming with her. They have rented a small apartment near the university in Chennai and she and her mother will live there together. Her father passed away 6 months ago and I am wondering if that has anything to do with her being able to go to the university.

My impression is that going to a men’s university, or co-education, is perceived as being superior.

 Today we visited a co-ed college (somewhere - don't ask me where...about a 3 hour bus ride from the village). Srivani, a friend of a friend, has just graduated in business from this school and we went to meet her as she got her official certificate today.

3 comments:

  1. The girls took this photo of me at least 5 times. They kept telling me I am too white in the sun and I just look all white. They couldn't see me with the glare of the sun.

    Hmm.... I always look this way though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Sweetie turned 22 yesterday. I may have started the post when she was 21!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! Amanda, maybe if you stood in front of the darker sign you would've stood out more.

    ReplyDelete