Friday, August 19, 2011

Secret Shopper

Sweety has been holding out on me! Virudhunagar (I still cannot say the name of the village) has a Super Market! (gasp)!. OK, it' more like a convenience store in the US, but still! I cannot believe she just told me about it yesterday. I've already gone back today. :)

So... Sweety wanted to make this western style sandwich and we had to scour the entire market place (think farmer's market) to find ingredients. Finally she says, "I think we need to go to the Super Market". Whoa! She has been holding out on me. They have little baskets you carry around - potato chips! cookies!! soda, water! What more can a girl want? I loaded up and plan to return. One cultural difference I will point out is that the staff of the super market take naps in the aisles. So literally, you can't get to some items because two or three people are just laying on the floor in the store. It was startled at first. I saw a women lying on her back and thought maybe she needed help, "No, she's just resting" according to Sweety. After the third person on the floor, I got that. I used to take naps back in the library stacks when I was a teen, so same kinda thing I guess.

This sign in the store caught my attention. In aisle 4 we have...insect killers and ladies items!

2 comments: