Friday, August 12, 2011

Swimming Lessons

Today Sweetie and her friend wanted me to go the swimming pool and give them swimming lessons. I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of a swimming pool, but it was actually pretty nice. We had the entire pool to ourselves. It was a little green looking but refreshing. For the first time since coming to the village I felt cool and comfortable.

There was a matter of what to wear to swim in though. I asked if I could wear my swimsuit and was told yes. Then I showed them my suit and the girls burst into tears and giggles, "You can't wear that!!!". It is a swimming suit, I told them. I compromised and wore my suit with a T shirt and yoga pants.

For the lessons, we practiced floating on our backs, doing the dog paddle and some basic kicks and arm movements. The girls pretty much sunk like stones but they were so determined and kept at it. We are going to have another lesson next week. :)

2 comments:

  1. That's funny about your swimsuit incident! I guess they are a bit more modest in India. I hope the girls will be able to dog paddle as well as you can by the time you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A bit more modest" is putting it lightly. The girls swim in their everyday cloths - pants, undies, bra, long shirts, and scarves!! No wonder they sink so fast!! We had a second lesson at the amusement / water park and they are doing better. They had some kick boards so I had them practice with those. :) They will dog paddle soon!

    ReplyDelete